Permits & Forms
Entry permits are not required for public access to most ecological reserves. Seabird ecological reserves are the one exception due to the sensitivity of the seabird nesting areas. Only researchers and management staff may land on the islands.
Entry permits are not required for access to the marine portion of the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve.
Permits are required for the following activities that may occur within the boundaries of the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve:
- Commercial Operator Permit (145 KB)
All commercial operators, including tour boat operators, cruise ships, and other tourism operations (including guides and kayak operators) require a permit to conduct activities in a reserve. Permits for cruise ships are only available for Baccalieu Island Ecological Reserve. Tour boat operator licences for Witless Bay Ecological Reserve are assigned based on a public call for proposals as per policy for that Reserve. For permitting information, contact
the Natural Areas
- Educational Tour Permit (145 KB)
- Any group, including school, university, or conference group, conducting a tour within an ecological reserve requires an educational tour permit. In Witless Bay Ecological Reserve, we encourage groups to use the services of the licensed tour boat operators.
- Scientific Research Permit (145 KB)
- Anyone who wants to conduct scientific research in an ecological reserve requires a scientific research permit. Note that applications must be submitted to
the Natural Areas Program by March 31 for review by the Seabird Ecological Reserves Advisory Committee.
For scientific research, commercial operator, or educational tour permits, please allow a minimum of three weeks for processing.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free