Fisheries and Land Resources

Agriculture Leases or Licences

Agriculture leases and licencesare available where no land use conflicts exist and, within municipal and planning area boundaries provided the Municipal Council gives written approval.  Agricultural leases are issued for a term of fifty (50) years and must be approved by the Agrifoods Development Branch of the Forestry and Agrifoods Agency.

Licences for home gardening, pasture land and non-commercial farming are for a maximum term of five (5) years and may be renewed.

Agriculture leases and licences cannot be converted to grants (outright ownership).

Application Process

A completed Crown Land Application Form PDF (287 KB) must be filed with the Regional Lands Office nearest to the land applied for. Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis.

An application processing fee and a map or sketch clearly identifying the location of the land applied for and how it is to be accessed must accompany the application.


  • Application Processing Fee: $150.00 + HST
  • Document Preparation Fee: $300.00
  • Annual Rental: $4.00 per hectare

Related Requirements

  • Applicant must ensure there are no adverse claims against the land.
  • Applicant's signature must be witnessed by an official authorized to administer oaths.
  • The application will be referred by Lands Branch to any Department or Agency having jurisdiction over land use in the area applied for.
  • Applicants must be of legal age (19 years or older).

Lot Sizes

Lot sizes for Agriculture leases and licenses vary depending on the proposed agricultural operation. The applicant must justify his or her land needs by providing a five (5) year farm plan to an Agrifoods representative with the Agrifoods Development Branch of the Forestry and Agrifoods Agency.

Additional Information

  • For agriculture leases the applicant is responsible for arranging a survey of the land being leased at his or her expense within twelve (12) months if the application is approved. Surveys will only be accepted from registered members of the Association of Newfoundland Land Surveyors. opens new window
  • An agriculture licence does not require a legal survey, however, visible markers lines must be established.

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free. opens new window

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.