Fisheries and Land Resources


Aquaculture leases and licences are available where no land use conflicts exist and are subject to the approval of the Aquaculture branch of the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture.

Licences may be issued for a maximum term of five (5) years and may be renewed. Leases are issued for a maximun term of fifty (50) years).

Aquaculture leases and licences cannot be converted to grants. (outright ownership)

Application Process

A completed Crown Land Application Form PDF (278 KB), together with required maps and diagrams, and a non-refundable processing fee are submitted to the Aquaculture Registrar. The application will be evaluated by the Registrar and forwarded to the appropriate Regional Lands Office for processing. More information about processing aquaculture applications.


  • Application Processing Fee: $150.00 + HST
  • Document Preparation Fee: $300.00
  • Annual Rental: $8.00 per hectare

* Application fee is payable at Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture

Related Requirements

  • Applicant must ensure there are no adverse claims against the land.
  • Applicant's signature must be witnessed by an official authorized to administer an oath.
  • The application will be referred by Lands Branch to any Department or Agency having jurisdiction over land use in the area applied for.
  • Applicants must be of legal age (19 years or older).

Lot Sizes

Lot sizes for Aquaculture leases and licences vary depending on the proposed operation. The applicant must justify his or her land needs by providing a detailed Production and Harvesting plan for the next five (5) years to the Aquaculture branch of the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture. Lots must be sited in a manner that does not interfere with the public's right of navigation in inland or costal waters. Lots should also be sited a minimum distance of 500 meters from the nearest upland structure (eg. Cottage, residence, etc).

Additional Information

  • For aquaculture leases the applicant is responsible for arranging a survey of the land being leased at his or her expense within twelve (12) months if the application is approved. Surveys will only be accepted from registered members of the Association of Newfoundland Land Surveyors opens new window.
  • An aquaculture licence does not require a legal survey, however, visible markers lines must be established.
  • Application for operations requiring the use of the on-shore facilities that include the occupancy of the 15 meter public shore line reservation can only be considered subject to the statuory requirement of section 7 of the Lands Act.

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free. opens new window

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.