Fisheries and Land Resources

Recreational Cottage

Recreational Cottage grants are available in rural areas accessible by road where no land use conflicts exist, or in areas without road access that have been designated by the Lands Branch for recreational cottage developmentperiod.

Recreational cottages in areas that are subject to a Crown Timber Licence held by Corner Brook Pulp and Paper Co. Limited opens new window  are available under a licecse of occupation only and are not eligible for purchase. (See Remote Recreational Cottage)

^ Top of Page

Application Process

A completed Crown Land Application Form PDF (287 KB) must be filed with the Regional Lands Office nearest to the land applied for. Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis except for designated high demand areas where applications are invited through the public draw process only.

An application processing fee and a map or sketch clearly identifying the location of the land applied for must accompany the application.

^ Top of Page


  • Application Processing Fee: $150.00 + HST
  • Document Preparation Fee: $300.00

Applications are approved as a grant only and the full market value is payable at the time of the issuance of the title.

^ Top of Page

Related Requirements

  • Applicant must ensure there are no adverse claims against the land.
  • Applicant's signature must be witnessed by an official authorized to administer an oath.
  • The application will be referred by the Lands Branch to any Department or Agency having jurisdiction over land use in the area applied for.
  • Applicants must be of legal age (19 years or older).

^ Top of Page

Lot Sizes

  • Minimum lot size: 3000 square metres (30 metres frontage).
  • Maximum lot size: 4000 square metres (45 metres frontage).

^ Top of Page

Additional Information

  • The applicant is responsible for arranging a survey of the land at his or her expense within 12 months if the application is approved. Surveys will only be accepted from registered members of the Association of Newfoundland Land Surveyors opens new window.
  • The applicant must provide details of the on site water supply and sewage disposal facilities prepared by an approved designer opens new window (77 KB). This must be provided at the applicant's expense within 12 months from the date of approval of the application.
  • A cottage built on this land must have a minimum floor area of 20 square meters
  • A separate application is required for boathouses and wharves occupying the shoreline reservation under section 7 of the Land Act.

^ Top of Page

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free. opens new window

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.