Fisheries and Land Resources

Remote Recreational Cottage

Recreational Cottage Licences to Occupy are available where no land use conflicts exist in remote areas that are not accessible by conventional motor vehicle, or in areas that are subject to a Crown Timber Licence held by Corner Brook Pulp and Paper Co. Limited opens new window. Licences are issued for a five (5) year term and are renewable upon expiry of each five (5) year period.

Application Process

A completed Crown Land Application Form PDF (287 KB) must be filed with the Regional Lands Office nearest to the land applied for. Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis except for designated high demand areas where applications are invited through the public draw process only.

An application processing fee and a map or sketch clearly identifying the location of the land applied for must accompany the application.


  • Application Processing Fee: $150.00 + HST
  • Document Preparation Fee: $300.00
  • Annual Rental: $200.00

Related Requirements

  • Applicant must ensure there are no adverse claims against the land.
  • Applicant's signature must be witnessed by an official authorized to administer an oath.
  • The application will be referred by the Lands Branch to any Department or Agency having jurisdiction over land use in the area applied for.
  • Recreational cottage licences are only available to permanent residents of Newfoundland and Labrador. Assignments of Licences or Permits to Occupy for Remote Recreational Cottages to non-residents of Newfoundland and Labrador is prohibited.
  • Applicants must be of legal age (19 years or older).

^ Top of Page

Lot Sizes

There are no specific lot sizes for remote cottage sites as no survey is required and licenses only give permission to occupy a site. However, a cottage must be no closer than 45 metres to the nearest cottage.

^ Top of Page

Additional Information

  • The cottage must be at least 30 metres from the nearest waterbody, stream or river.
  • For cottages within a one kilometre radius of a road, the applicant must supply details of the on-site water supply and sewage disposal facilities prepared by an approved designer opens new window (77 KB). This must be provided at the applicant's expense within 12 months of the date of approval of the application.
  • The licence conditions require that a cottage be built on the land within five (5) years from the date of issuance of the licence.
  • The Department reserves the right to insist that a licence be converted to a Recreational Cottage Grant if, in the opinion of the Department, the site becomes accessible as a result of new road construction or for other reasons.
  • A specific application is required for boathouses and wharves occupying the shoreline reservation, under section 7 of the Land Act.

^ Top of Page

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free. opens new window

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.