Fisheries and Land Resources

Permits & Forms

Visitors taking an official Mistaken Point Guided Tour to Mistaken Point Ecological Reserve do not require a permit. Access to the fossils is by guided tour or permit only.

Permits are required for the following activities:

  • Commercial Operator Permit PDF (145 KB)
    • All commercial operators require a commercial operator permit to conduct activities in a reserve.
  • Educational Tour Permit PDF (145 KB)
    • Any group, including school, university, or conference groups, conducting a tour within an ecological reserve requires an educational tour permit.
  • Scientific Research Permit PDF (145 KB)
    • Anyone who wants to conduct scientific research in an ecological reserve requires a scientific research permit. For more information and research guidelines, see Science & Research.
  • Fossil Protection Zone Entry Permit
    • To access the Fossil Protection Zone PDF (2.3 MB)., a Fossil Protection Zone Entry Permit is required. Permits will be provided primarily for scientific research. The Fossil Protection Zone delimits that portion of the Reserve's coastline where fossils are most vulnerable to the effects of erosion and human activities. For more information on the coastal areas included within the Fossil Protection Zone contact:

      Mistaken Point Ecological Reserve Manager

      Tony Power
      Tel: (709) 438-1012

For scientific research, commercial operator, or educational tour permits, please allow a minimum of three weeks for processing.

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free opens new window

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.