Dog Training Areas
Conducting Field Trials and Training Dogs in Newfoundland and Labrador
The Wildlife Division advises dog owners that as of April 1, 2003 a revised policy for field trials and training
of dogs is in effect. The policy establishes the following guidelines permitted under Sections 102 &103 of the
Guidelines for dog trials/training:
- Dog field trials/training will continue to be allowed from September 1- March 31 annually, without
permit or restrictions on areas.
- From April 1-May 7 and from August 15-August 31 annually, field trials/training will be only allowed
within designated dog training areas (DTA). A written permit is not required to conduct these activities
during these dates within the designated areas.
- Dog field trials/training will not be allowed from May 7-August 15, annually, in any area.
Designated Field Trial/Training Areas in Newfoundland:
- Hearts Content Barrens, Carbonear (14.5 MB)
- Shoal Bay Road, Bay Bulls (6.9 MB)
- Northern Pond Road, Cochrane Pond (8.8 MB)
- North River, Clarke's Beach (7.4 MB)
- Glover's Road, Harbour Grace (6.4 MB)
- Witless Bay Line, Butterpot Hills (11.3 MB)
- Middle Bight Road, CBS (6.2 MB)
- Dildo Pond, Blaketown (7.6 MB)
- Island Pond Ridge, Avondale (9.3 MB)
- Gander Lake East, Gander (8.6 MB)
- Stephenville Crossing (6.4 MB)
- Lady Slipper Road, Corner Brook (9.1 MB)
- Molliers, Burin Peninsula (6.4 MB)
What is a dog field trial or training exercise?
Dog field trials/training provides the opportunity for dog(s) to be taken into the wilderness to roam freely off
the leash, if kept within designated dog trial/training areas.
Do I need a permit?
A written permit is not required, as of this notice, if the activity is confined within designated field
trial/training areas and the dates outlined in the annual Hunting and Trapping Guide.
What is the cost?
Conducting dog trials/training is free in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Please consult the annual Hunting and Trapping Guide for further details or contact:
Department of Fisheries and Land Resources
P.O Box 2007
Corner Brook, NL