Fisheries and Land Resources

Forms and Applications

Big Game Licences

Resident moose/caribou application for the annual big game draw are mailed directly to all eligible resident hunters, or may be accessed online using Wildlife Information Management System opens new window and the login information contained on your paper application.

Priority Pool System Improvements/Big Game Licence Draw: PDF (143 KB) The Wildlife Division has redesigned the Priority Pool System for the Resident Big Game Licence Draw to make it easier to understand and reduce the risk of being penalized if you do not submit an application within a specified period.

The Analysis of the Licence Draw by Area Choice PDF (354 KB) summarizes the results of the lowest pool that licences were awarded previously and may be helpful in determining your chances at receiving a licence in the upcoming annual big game draw. A more detailed analysis is also available by clicking here Big Game Draw Analysis 2015 PDF (143 KB).

Resident Black Bear applications and payments may be filed online using your login information indicated on your big game application or you can download and mail along with a cheque or money order to the address indicated. Black Bear Application Form PDF (211 KB)

In Labrador Black Bear licences are available from Government Services Center or from vendor outlets throughout the region.

Small Game Licences

Small game licences are available at numerous sporting goods, hardware or general stores throughout Newfoundland and Labrador, or at Government Services Centres.

Migratory Game Bird Permits

Migratory game bird hunting falls under the jurisdiction of Environment Canada's Canadian Wildlife Service. The federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting (MGBH) Permits are available for purchase online opens new window and through Canada Post Offices opens new window and some independent vendors. The MGBH permit is valid throughout Canada.

For more information on Migratory Game Bird Hunting in Newfoundland and Labrador, consult the Newfoundland and Labrador Hunting and Trapping Guide, or the Canadian Wildlife Service's Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations Summaries opens new window.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, contact:

Enforcement Coordinator, Canadian Wildlife Service
PO Box 1201
Lewisporte, NL, A0G 3A0
Telephone: (709) 535-0601
Canadian Wildlife Service
6 Bruce Street, Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 4T3
Telephone: (709) 772-5585
Canadian Wildlife Service
PO Box 7003, Stn. C
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL, A0P 1C0
Telephone: (709) 896 6167

Trapping - Island of Newfoundland:

General Trapping Licence

All resident trappers on the island must apply annually for a General Trapping Licence that authorizes trapping for all species, except beaver, on the Island of Newfoundland during the open seasons prescribed, and in accordance with trapping regulations. Upon successfully completing a Trapper Education Course, trapping applications are mailed to all eligible trappers.

All trappers are required to apply to the Wildlife Division to obtain a trapping licence. To obtain an application, please contact:

Wildlife Division
192 Wheeler’s Road, PO Box 2007
Corner Brook, NL, A2H 7S1
Telephone: (709) 637-2025
Completed applications may be returned with required licence fee to:

Trapping Licence Application : Central Cashier's Office
PO Box 8700, St. John's, NL, A1B 4J6
Telephone: 709-729-2135
Beaver Trapline Licence

On the Island of Newfoundland, beaver are managed on a trapline system. Only trappers approved to hold a beaver trapline can legally be issued a licence to trap beaver. If you do not currently hold a beaver trapline and wish to be placed on a priority list for a vacant trapline, please forward your request to:

Wildlife Division: Beaver Trapline
PO Box 2007, Corner Brook, NL, A2H 7S1

Trapping - Labrador:

In Labrador, a General Trapping Llicence authorizes trappers to trap for all species, including beaver, during the open seasons prescribed and in accordance with trapping regulations. Upon successfully completing a Trapper Education Course, trapping applications are mailed to all eligible trappers

Outdoor Identification Card

An Outdoor Identification Card is issued to all residents who have completed the Firearm Safety/Hunter Education Course, and to those who previously completed the Hunter Capability Test or the Canadian Firearm Safety Course (in Newfoundland and Labrador only) before April 1996.

Outdoor Identification Card Application PDF (107 KB)

Not-For-Profit Moose Licence Application

A limited number of big game moose licences are available to registered non-profit organizations within the province through a newly developed licensing system.  NFP moose licences will be issued to qualifying non-profit organizations that, in turn, can designate big game hunters to hunt on their behalf. Meat harvested under these licences can then be utilized by charities and service groups for fundraising purposes.

Not-For-Profit Moose Licence Application PDF (243 KB)

Replacement Licences

If a hunting licence or tags have been lost, stolen or damaged, you must get a replacement licence before you can continue hunting.

You may get replacement big game licences/tags from any Department of Natural Resources Office or Wildlife Division Office. Please return any part of the original licence or tags still in your possession. An affidavit, describing the circumstances of the loss, must be completed and signed by a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public. A $2.00 fee will be charged for a replacement big game licence.

Replacement small game licences are available from the Vendor where you purchased your original licence. When you purchase a Small Game Licence, keep the return in a safe place separate from the licence. Record the date of purchase, licence number and the Vendor's name and address. If you lose your licence bring the return or the information you recorded to the Vendor where a replacement will be issued. There is no fee for a replacement small game licence.

For lost or stolen Migratory Game Bird Permits, hunters are asked to contact:

Canadian Wildlife Service
P. O. Box 21276
St. John's, NL, A1A 5B2
Telephone: (709) 772-5585

Firearms Transport Permits

A permit is required to transport firearms and ammunition during a closed hunting season. A Firearms Transport Permit is also required to transport firearms and ammunition for the purposes of sighting in or target practice in areas throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. Permits may be obtained by visiting the Wildlife Division or Forestry Services Branch Office.

Shooting Club / Firearms Business

Rod and Gun Clubs, shooting clubs and gunsmiths within Newfoundland and Labrador may obtain annual permits by contacting:

Wildlife Division: Conservation Services
P.O. Box 2007
Corner Brook, NL, A2H 7S1
Telephone: (709) 637-2006

Hunters/Anglers with a Disability

The Disabled Hunter/Angler Program is designed to accommodate persons who have a permanent mobility disability of the lower limbs, or who are permanently, legally blind and wish to enter the big game licence draw process.

Application form for the Program for Hunters and Anglers with a Disability PDF (198 KB)

Guide Licences

Information/Application for Newfoundland and Labrador Guide's Licence PDF (455 KB)

Applications are also available from the Department of Fisheries, Forestry and Agrifoods or the Wildlife Division.

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free opens new window

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.